1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/GM 4, and line a twelve-hole muffin tin with large cupcake cases.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
3. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, flour and baking powder, and mix again until just smooth.
4. Divide the mixture between your cupcake case and bake in the oven for around 26-28 minutes (until the mixture springs back to the touch).
5. Leave your cupcakes to cool in the tin for around ten minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. While your cupcakes are baking, make the buttercream. Begin by beating the butter in the bowl of your stand mixer in creamy and very pale.
7. Add the icing sugar, a little at a time, ensuring each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.
8. Finally, add the vanilla extract and the water, and mix again until smooth, before covering the bowl with cling film and leaving to stand for at least one hour.
9. When you are ready to use your buttercream, give it one final mix for around a minute, before transferring into a piping bag fitted with an open star tip (e.g. a Wilton 1M).
10. Pipe an ice cream-style swirl of buttercream onto each cupcake, scatter over a generous pinch of your sprinkles and leave to set.
11. Once the buttercream has set, store your cupcakes in an airtight container for up to three days at room temperature.
The Kenwood Kids Club is turning three, so let’s celebrate with some super fun and colourful birthday cupcakes! Deliciously light and fluffy sponge cakes, a colourful and tasty vanilla buttercream topping and plenty of sprinkles of course, these cupcakes are infinitely customisable and perfect for your next celebration! Make sure you give them a go and don’t forget to share the results with us here in the Kenwood Kids Club!