1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C/gas mark 4 and grease and line a standard loaf tin.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing between each addition.
4. Sieve the flour into the bowl and mix until just combined, being careful not to over-beat the mixture.
5. Stir through the ground almonds, before adding the milk, if needed, to achieve a dropping consistency.
6. Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 mins, until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
7. Once the cake is baked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin until room temperature.
8. While the cake is cooling, increase the oven temperature to 190°C/170°C/gas mark 5.
9. Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the flour, rubbing them together (see video).
10. Add the sugar and flaked almonds, and stir together before spreading the mixture out onto a large baking tray.
11. Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes until lightly coloured, before leaving to cool completely.
12. When you are ready to assemble your cake, heat the cherry jam over a low heat until runny.
13. Remove the cake from the tin and place onto a serving plate or stand.
14. Pour a generous helping of jam over the cake allowing some to run down the sides, if you’d like. Top with plenty of crumble mixture and set aside until ready to serve.
Continuing last week’s theme of celebrating unusual national days, this week we are turning our attention to Cherry Dessert Day – which just so happens to be today! Rather than whipping up something traditional though, Mr Baker is putting his own cakey spin on the theme, with his brand new Cherry & Almond Crumble Cake. A moist and delicious almond sponge, a generous serving of cherry conserve, and a sweet and crispy crumble topping all come together to create an amazing flavour sensation! We absolutely love it and we think you will too, so be sure to give it a try this week!