1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/GM 4, and grease and line two 7” cake tins.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
3. Add the eggs, almond extract, flour, baking powder and ground almonds, and mix again until just smooth.
4. Divide the mixture between your tins and bake in the oven for around 25-27 minutes (until the mixture springs back to the touch and an inserted skewer comes out clean).
5. Leave your cakes to cool in the tin for around ten minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Once cooled, place one of the sponges on a serving plate and spread a generous layer of cherry jam on top, before adding the other sponge layer.
7. To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a large bowl and add the water. Stir until smooth and thick.
8. Pour or spread the icing over the top of the cake, and don’t worry if some runs down the sides. Top with the toasted flaked almonds and the glacé cherries (if using), and leave to set before serving.
The summer holidays are finally here and it’s the perfect time to get stuck into some fun new baking projects! This week, Mr Baker is treating us to a delicious new take on another British classic, in the form of his new Cherry Bakewell Cake.
Two delicious layers of almond sponge cake and a tasty cherry jam filling are all topped off with a traditional water icing, toasted almonds and even more cherries! A truly tasty combination reimagined into an absolutely scrumptious cake!