1. Preheat your oven to 180C or 160 fan, and line a cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
2. In a bowl put your flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and butter and mix together until the butter is combined with the dry ingredients.
3. Crack your egg into a jug and add in your milk, vanilla and coffee. The coffee will really help enhance that chocolate flavour! Gradually add the wet mix into the dry mix until everything is well combined. Be careful not to over mix your cake mixture, your batter should be smooth. Then you can fold through your chocolate chips.
4. Divide the cake mixture between 12 cupcake cases, and bake them for around 20 minutes until a cocktail stick comes out clean.
5. Whilst the cupcakes are baking let’s make the buttercream! Beat the butter in a stand mix until super light and fluffy. Then gradually add in your icing sugar, once all of your icing sugar has been added add in your cocoa powder and some milk to help thin it out. If your buttercream is too stiff then just add in some more milk.
6. Put your buttercream into a piping bag and using your favourite nozzle pipe designs of your choice onto your cupcakes. Make sure your cupcakes are fully cool before putting the buttercream on, as a warm cake will melt buttercream.
7. This step is completely optional. Put your cream and chocolate into a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, mix until the chocolate has fully melted. You should have a smooth and delicious chocolate ganache which I love to pipe over the buttercream as I love the effect of the chocolate drizzle. Feel free to add some sprinkles to jazz up your cupcakes!
8. ENJOY! Make sure to tag myself @zakbakes_ and @kenwoodworld in your bakes on Instagram as we would love to see them. And also send your bakes here for the chance to be this month's Star Baker winner.