1. Start by preheating your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/GM4 and lining two large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer, until very pale and smooth.
3. Add the vanilla, milk, flour and custard powder, and mix it comes together into a smooth biscuit dough.
4. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and press flat, before chilling for at least 30mins.
5. Working with half the dough at a time, roll it out until around 5mm thick, before using a sharp knife to slice the dough into neat rectangles, approximately 4cm by 5cm. Recombine and repeat until both halves of the dough are completely used up.
6. Place the biscuits on the baking trays and use a fork to prick the top of each one three times.
7. Bake your biscuits in the oven for around 12-14 mins, until the edges are beginning to colour.
8. Once baked, allow the biscuits to cool on the baking trays for around 5-10mins, before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
9. To make the filling, begin by creaming your butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until pale and creamy. This may take a while, but the longer you leave it, the better.
8. Add in the icing sugar, the custard powder and the vanilla extract, and mix again until completely smooth. Finally, transfer the filling into a piping bag.
9. When you are ready to assemble your custard creams, begin by matching the biscuits into similar-sized pairs. Turn over one of each pair and pipe six small blobs of filling onto the base of the biscuit. Top with its pair and repeat until all of the biscuits have been filled.
The junior bakers at Mr Baker’s Cake School have been going barmy for biscuits recently, whipping up a whole load of delicious classics, including these incredible custard creams! They’ve proven so popular that Mr Baker thought we might like to give them a go here in the Kenwood Kids Club too!
And while it isn’t at all essential, if you fancy giving them the professional finishing touch, you can find Mr Baker’s biscuit cutter set at this link: https://www.dexam.co.uk/baking/cookie-cutters/dexam-classic-british-biscuit-cutters-set-of-4/