We’re celebrating in the Kenwood Kids Club this week – not only because we’re nearly at our one hundredth episode (!!!) – but also because Mr Baker is about to open his brand new baking school, Mr Baker’s Cake School! Even more excitingly, we all get to be some of the first visitors! Obviously, we needed a very special recipe to mark the occasion, so in his first video from the new home of the Kenwood Kids Club, Mr Baker is going to be showing us how to make some super fun and colourful Funfetti Party Cupcakes – perfect for all sorts of celebrations!
1. Start by preheating your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with large cupcake cases.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
3. In a separate jug, whisk your eggs and gradually add them to the butter/sugar mixture, along with the vanilla extract, mixing on a low speed until fully combined.
Top Tip: If the mixture looks like it may be splitting or curdling, add a heaped tablespoon of your flour to bind it back together.
4. Sieve the flour into the bowl and mix until just combined – be careful not to over-beat the mixture.
5. Divide the mixture between your cases and bake at the top of the oven for 25-27 minutes (until the mixture stops ‘singing’).
6. Remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
7. While your cakes are cooling, make the buttercream. Begin by creaming your butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until it is pale and smooth. This may take a while, but the longer you leave it, the better.
10. Add in the icing sugar, a little at a time, ensuring each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.
11. Finally, add the vanilla extract, and mix again until smooth.
12. Transfer your buttercream into a piping bag, fitted with an open star tip and pipe a generous ice cream-style swirl of buttercream onto each cupcake, before topping with some more Funfetti sprinkles.