1. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
2. In a separate jug, whisk your egg and vanilla together, before adding this to the butter/sugar mixture, mixing on a low speed until fully combined.
3. Add the flour, a little at a time, until you get a thick dough.
4. Push the dough together into a rough ball and knead briefly until the mixture is smooth and fully combined.
5. Wrap the biscuit dough in cling film and place in the fridge to chill for at least one hour.
6. When you are ready to bake your biscuits, preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/GM4 and line 2-3 baking trays with baking paper.
7. Working in batches, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to around about 5mm thick.
8. Use a 6cm fluted pastry cutter to cut out your biscuits, before transferring them onto the baking trays.
Top tip: This recipe also works brilliantly with plunger cutters and moulds too!
9. Bake your biscuits for 10-12 minutes, until just starting to colour around the edges.
10. Once baked, leave the biscuits to cool on the baking trays until firm, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
11. Once your biscuits are completely cool, roll out your ready-to-roll icing.
12. Use a 5cm round pastry cutter, to cut out rounds of the icing, attaching these to the biscuits with a little water.
13. Leave your biscuits, ideally overnight, until the icing has dried and then use the edible pens to decorate them however you would like!
We love a bake that lets us get creative and Mr Baker’s Iced Doodle Biscuits are perfect for this! Not only are they absolutely scrummy… they can be customised to match any type of special occasion - the only limit is your imagination!
From dinosaurs to unicorns, from birthday wishes to party favours, we can see this being a recipe we’ll want to make again and again!
How will you decorate yours?