1. Preheat your oven to 190°C/170°C fan/GM5, and grease and line two 7” cake tins.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
3. In a separate jug, whisk your eggs and gradually add them to the butter/sugar mixture, along with the vanilla extract, mixing on a low speed until fully combined.
Top Tip: If the mixture looks like it may be splitting or curdling, add a heaped tablespoon of your flour to bind it back together.
4. Sieve the flour and baking powder into the bowl, before adding the lemon zest, and mix until just combined – be careful not to over-beat the mixture. If the mixture is a little thick, a tablespoon of milk can be added to achieve a dropping consistency.
5. Divide the mixture between your tins and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes (until the mixture springs back to the touch and an inserted skewer comes out clean).
6. Leave your cakes to cool in the tin for around ten minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. While your cakes are cooling, make the buttercream. Begin by creaming your butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until it is pale and smooth. This may take a while, but the longer you leave it, the better.
8. Add in the icing sugar, a little at a time, ensuring each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.
9. Finally, add the lemon juice, and mix again until smooth, before transferring to a piping bag.
10. To assemble your Lemon Meringue Sponge Cake, place one of your sponge layers onto a cake stand or serving plate. Pipe ‘kisses’ of buttercream all around the edge, before spreading a thin layer of buttercream over the rest of the cake.
11. Add 2-3 tablespoons of lemon curd and spread this over the surface of the cake, before placing the second layer of sponge on top.
12. Use the remaining buttercream to pipe ‘kisses’ all over the surface of the cake, before drizzling with a little more lemon curd and topping with the crumbled meringue pieces.
It’s Mr Baker’s birthday this week and we’re celebrating with one of his favourite cakes! Two layers of zingy lemon sponge, plenty of buttercream, and heaps of lemon curd and meringue pieces ensure that this cake has the perfect balance of flavour and texture – not to mention, it’s absolutely delicious!
Whether you’re also celebrating a special occasion or would simply like a nice slice of cake to enjoy with a cup of tea, we guarantee that Mr Baker’s Lemon Meringue Sponge Cake is sure to be a hit, so what are you waiting for…?