1. Peel, core and roughly chop the apples, placing them into a saucepan.
2. Add the sugar, butter and cinnamon, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until the apples are very soft.
3. Transfer the cooked apple mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth. Pass the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and leave to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/GM 6 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
5. In a large mixing bowl, sieve together the flour, the sugar and the cinnamon.
6. In a separate jug, whisk together the milk, the oil and the eggs until smooth.
7. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and fold them together until just combined.
8. Add a 2cm layer of sponge mix to each cupcake case, before spooning in some of the jam mixture. Top with another 2cm layer of sponge mix.
9. Bake your ‘duffins’ in the oven for around 20 minutes.
10. While they are in the oven, combine the caster sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl to create your cinnamon sugar.
11. In a separate bowl, melt the butter until just liquid.
12. Remove the ‘duffins’ from the oven and, while still warm, dip the top of each one into the melted butter and then the cinnamon sugar. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
Autumn is definitely here and it’s the perfect time to start playing with seasonal fruits and tasty autumnal spices in your bakes.
Mr Baker’s Spiced Apple ‘Duffins’ are a new take on an old viral favourite, capturing the best bits of both doughnuts and muffins and they are the perfect airy treat, whatever the season… but particularly for the autumn.
Why not give them a go and see what YOU think…?