1. Preheat your oven to 190°C/170°C fan/GM 5, and grease and line two 7” cake tins.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together your butter and sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour.
3. Add the eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder, and mix again until just smooth.
4. Divide the mixture between your tins and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes (until the mixture springs back to the touch and an inserted skewer comes out clean).
5. Leave your cakes to cool in the tin for around ten minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the buttercream, begin by creaming your butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until it is very pale and smooth. This may take a while, but the longer you leave it, the better.
7. Add in the icing sugar, a little at a time, ensuring each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next.
8. Finally, add the vanilla extract and water, and mix again until smooth.
9. To assemble your cake, place one of the sponges on a serving plate and spread a generous layer of buttercream on top. Spoon over the jam before placing the other sponge layer on top. Dust with icing sugar and serve…
This week, it’s World Baking Day so why not mark the occasion and have a go at Mr Baker’s version of this truly classic recipe?!
Deliciously soft sponges, a flavour-filled buttercream and lashings of your favourite jam come together to create the ultimate cake – there’s a reason why it’s such a classic, after all!
Perfect for every sort of celebration from an afternoon tea to a special birthday, your family and friends will definitely thank you for adding Mr Baker’s Victoria Sponge to your baking repertoire this World Baking Day!